Emily Raphael-Greenfield, EdD, OTR/L, FAOTA
- Ed.D., Health Behavior Studies, Teachers College, Columbia University
- M.S., Occupational Therapy, Columbia University
- M.A., Anthropology, New York University
- B.A., Anthropology and Psychology, Bennington College
- Creation of OT Clinic at local shelter and provision of ongoing services
- Ongoing creation and supervision of Level I and II mental health FW sites
- Extensive work experience in inpatient and outpatient mental health
- Worked as occupational therapist in NYC District 75 high school
- Mental Health I: Group Dynamics
- Mental Health II: Individual OT Evaluation and Intervention for Mental Health
- Occupational therapy assessment and intervention with clients who are homeless
- SMART Program intervention for transition into supported housing
- Social skills role-play intervention with HFA children and adolescents
- Occupational therapy intervention for hospitalized antepartum bed rest patients
- Establishing psychometric properties for Build A City Assessment
Grants and Contracts
- Project Renewal, E. Raphael-Greenfield & S. Gutman – Co-PIs, 1/1/15 -12/31/17
“Enhanced Fieldwork Experience and OT Services for the Homeless Population”. A contract to provide year-round occupational therapy services, occupational therapy supervision, and service scholarships to selected students. The enhanced services include the provision of evidence-based OT interventions, increased attention to substance use services, psychoeducation, and the SMART Program, a multi-modal, interactive skill-building program targeting living skills necessary for the transition from the shelter to apartment living.
- Division of Criminal Justice Services through Project Renewal, E. Raphael-Greenfield – PI, 2010-2011
“OT Assessment / Intervention in Parole Support Treatment Program (PSTP)”. A contract to assess using performance based assessments and prescribe OT interventions to ease the transition into permanent housing for clients with psychiatric illness and long histories of incarceration.
- van Ameringen Foundation Inc. through Project Renewal, E. Raphael & J. Falk-Kessler – Co-PIs, 2007-2008
“Model Apartment Program for Homeless Individuals”. A grant to enhance clients’ ability to compete for housing, increasing overall placements and reducing each clients’ length of stay in a shelter; and to demonstrate the long-term efficacy of occupational therapy as a “housing readiness” strategy to enhance the ability of the homeless mentally ill to obtain housing.
Professional Awards, Recognitions, Activities
- Fellow of the AOTA
- Member, AOTA, NYSOTA, MNYD
- Presenter at NYSOTA, AOTA, CAOT, MOTECNY/NJ, NATTAP Conferences
- Member of Kappa Delta Pi (International Honor Society in Education)
- Raphael-Greenfield, E.I., Miranda-Capella, I., & Branch, M. (in press). Adapting to a challenging fieldwork: Understanding the ingredients. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Raphael-Greenfield, E.I. (in press). Substance abuse and addictive disorders. In Dirette, D., & Atchison, B. (Eds.), Conditions in occupational therapy: Effect on occupational performance, 5th edition.
- Gillen, G., & Raphael-Greenfield, E.I. (in press). Performance based assessments and neuropsychological assessments: A comparison. In Hemphill, B, & Urish, C. (Eds.), Assessments in occupational therapy mental health, 3rd edition.
- Raphael-Greenfield, E.I., Toglia, J., & Hartman, A. (in press). Contextual memory test. In Hemphill, B, & Urish, C. (Eds.), Assessments in occupational therapy mental health, 3rd edition.
- Gutman, S.A., Raphael-Greenfield, E.I., & Simon, P.M. (2015). Feasibility and acceptability of a pilot housing transition program for homeless adults with mental illness and substance use. Occupational Therapy in Health Care. Advance online publication. doi: 10.3109/07380577.2015.1060660.
- Raphael-Greenfield, E.I., & Gutman, S.A. (2015). Understanding the lived experience of formerly homeless adults as they transition to supportive housing. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 31(1), 35-49, doi: 10.1080/0164212X.2014.1001011.
- Gutman, S.A., & Raphael-Greenfield, E.I. (2014). Centennial vision: Five years of mental health research in the American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2009-2013. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 68(1), e21-e36. doi:10.5014/ajot.2014.010249.
- Gutman, S.A., Raphael-Greenfield, E.I., Kerr, L., Siedlitz, E., & Wang, C. (2014). Using motor-based role-play to enhance social skills in a nonverbal adolescent with high functioning autism: A case report. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 30, 12-25. doi:10.1080/0164212X.2014.878235.
- Gutman, S.A., Raphael-Greenfield, E.I. & Rao, A.K.(2012): Increasing social skill use in adolescents with high-functioning autism: A nine-participant single-subject design, Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention, 5:3-4, 209-220 DOI:10.1080/0164212X.2012.650953
- Gutman, S. A., Raphael-Greenfield, E. I. & Rao, A. K. (2012). Effect of a motor based role play intervention on the social behaviors of adolescents with high functioning autism: Multiple baseline single subject design. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 66(5) 529-537 doi: 10.5014/ajot.2012.003756
- Gutman, S. A., Raphael, E. I., & Salvant, S.(2012). The effect of an occupational therapy role-playing intervention on social skill interaction in adolescents with Asperger’s syndrome: A pilot study./Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 28. 20–35. DOI: 10.1080/0164212X.2012.650953
- Gutman, S. A., Raphael-Greenfield, E. I., Carlson, N., Friedman, R., & Iger, A. (2012). Enhancing social skills in adolescents with HFA using motor-based role-play and a canine animal assistant: A pilot study. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1(1). Retrieved from http://scholarworks.wmich.edu/ojot/vol1/iss1/4
- Raphael-Greenfield, E. (2012). Assessing executive and community functioning among homeless persons with substance use disorders using the EFPT. Occupational Therapy International,19, 135–143 DOI: 10.1002/oti.1328
- Raphael-Greenfield, E., Shteyler, A., Silva, M. R., Caine, P. G., Soo, S., Rotonda, E. C., et al. (2011, September). Hard-wired for groups: Students and clients in the classroom and clinic. Mental Health Special Interest Section Quarterly, 34(3), 1–4.
- Gutman, S. A., Raphael, E. I., Ceder, L. M., Kahn, A., Timp, K. M., & Salvant, S. (2010). The effect of a motor based, social skill intervention for adolescents with high functioning autism: Two single subject design cases. Occupational Therapy International, 17(4), 188-197. doi: 10.1002/oti.300
- Byrne, P., Raphael, E. I., & Coleman-Wilson, A. (2010). Art as a transformative occupation. OT Practice, 15(5), 13-17.
- Raphael, E.I. (2010). Relationship between Executive Function, Performance Skills, and Indicators of Successful Community Living among People who Are Homeless and have Substance Use Disorders. ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT)
- Raphael, E. (2001). A book review of creative therapies: A psychodynamic approach within occupational therapy. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. Vo. 55, No. 3, 357.
- Raphael, E., Coleman, P., & Mausner, J. (1993). An innovative discharge group on a university hospital psychiatric unit. Downstate Psychiatric Bulletin. Vol. 3, No. 1, 3-4.
- Raphael, E. (1988). Grandparents: A study of their role in Hispanic families. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics. Vol. 6, No. 3-4