Janet Falk-Kessler, Ed.D., OTR, FAOTA
Vice Chair, Department of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine
Assistant Dean of Education, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University
Director and Professor, Department of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine, Programs in Occupational Therapy
Honorary Adjunct Professor, Teachers College’s Department of Biobehavioral Sciences, Program in Motor Learning and Control
- B.S., Occupational Therapy, University of Pennsylvania
- M.A., Developmental Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia University
- M.Ed., Educational Administration, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Ed.D., Educational Adminstration, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Strong clinical experience with individuals who have chronic psychiatric disorders
- Clinical administration experience of day hospital and occupational therapy departments
- Consultation to community agencies serving those with chronic mental illness; and school system intervention
Responsible for coursework coursework in both the Master’s and Doctoral programs related to professional issues and concerns; theory; ethics.
Particularly interested in outcome measures related to resilience; and sensory motor impairment in mental health populations.
Grants and Contracts
- Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University Medical Center, S. Gutman and J. Falk-Kessler – Co-PIs, 09/2016 – 09/2017
Grant to develop and assess a student admission procedure instrument that can provide information about emotional intelligence and professional behaviors in the classroom and clinical setting. $5000.
- Jarvie Commonwealth Foundation. Occupational therapy program for homebound elders. 2005 – 2015
- ArtCart: Saving the Legacy, J. Jeffrie – PI, 2009-2010, 2012-2013
Participation in an interprofessional program for graduate students and older artists. Additional support from Materials for the Arts (2013).
- van Ameringen Foundation Inc. through Project Renewal, E. Raphael & J. Falk-Kessler – Co-PIs, 2007-2008
“Model Apartment Program for Homeless Individuals”. A grant to enhance clients’ ability to compete for housing, increasing overall placements and reducing each clients’ length of stay in a shelter; and to demonstrate the long-term efficacy of occupational therapy as a “housing readiness” strategy to enhance the ability of the homeless mentally ill to obtain housing.
- LCU Foundation, Student Scholarships, 2003 – 2007
- NYSOTA and MNYD of NYSOTA, Mental Health Fieldwork Level 2 Impact Upon the Occupational Therapists Career Choice: Committee of State Association Presidents Incentive Grant, 1993 – 1995
- Center for Alzheimer’s Disease Research and the Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Columbia University, Faculty and Workshop Leader for “Application Of A Multi-Dimensional Assessment”, part of the symposium: Multi-Dimensional Assessment And Quality Of Life For The Elderly, 1992-1994
- AOTF, A Screening Test for Adult Brain Dysfunction, 1979
Professional Awards, Recognitions, Activities
- Fellow of the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Past Editor, Education Corner: Occupational Therapy in Health Care
- Past editorial board member of the American Journal of Occupational Therapy
- Active in a variety of committees of the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Member of Kappa Delta Pi, an international honor society for academic achievement in education
- Gutman, S. & Falk-Kessler, J. (2016). Development and psychometric properties of the emotional intelligence admission essay scale. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 4(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.15453/2168-6408.1233
- Falk-Kessler, J. (2016). Psychological aspects of stroke rehabilitation. In Gillen, G. (Ed.), Stroke rehabilitation: A function-based approach, 4th edition. St. Louis: Elsevier Science/Mosby
- Falk-Kessler, J. (2014). Professionalism, communication and teamwork. In Schell, B.; Gillen, G.; Scaffa. M. (Eds.), Willard and Spackman’s occupational therapy, 12th edition. Lippincott: Williams & Wilkins.
- Kalina, J., Falk-Kessler, J., & Herbert, J. (2013). Effect of occupational therapy on resilience and quality of life in MS [abstract]. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Center (CMSC)-Actrims, RH22.
- Falk-Kessler, J., Kalina, J., & Miller, P. (2012) The influence of occupational therapy on resilience in individuals with multiple sclerosis. International Journal of MS Care, 14, 160-168.
- Kalina, J., Falk-Kessler, J., Miller, P., Bacon, J., & Herbert, J. (2011). The effect of occupational therapy on resilience and quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis. Neurology, 76(9), A601-A602.
- Falk-Kessler, J., & Kane, L. (2011). Annalisa Meier. [Letter to the editor]. P&S Journal, Spring 2011(2).
- Falk-Kessler, J. (2011). Psychological aspects of stroke rehabilitation. In Gillen, G. (Ed.), Stroke rehabilitation: A function-based approach, 3rd edition. St. Louis: Elsevier Science/Mosby
- Falk-Kessler, J. (2011, February 21). In memoriam. OTPractice Magazine, 5.
- Kalina, J., Falk-Kessler, J., Miller, P., Bacon, J., Herbert, J. (2010). The effect of occupational therapy on resilience of patients with multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis, 16(S332).
- Falk-Kessler, J. (2004). Psychological aspects of stroke rehabilitation. In Gillen, G. & Burkhardt, A.(Eds.), Stroke rehabilitation: A function based approach, 2nd edition. St. Louis: Mosby, Inc.
- Falk-Kessler, J. & Bear-Lehman, J. (2003). Hand function in persons with chronic mental illness: A practice concern. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 19(1).
- Miller, P., Bear-Lehman, J., Falk-Kessler, J. (2003, January 13) OT program develops “open-it” to help homebound elders. OT Practice, 19-21.
- Miller P, Falk-Kessler J, Bear-Lehman. (2002) Occupational therapy programs’ new device promotes function, nutrition of homebound elders. Gerontologist, 42, 264-264.
- Falk-Kessler, J. (1999). Skills training or occupational therapy for persistent schizophrenia [Letter to the editor]. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 156, 1293-1294.
- Falk-Kessler, J., Stubbmann, S., Wagner, J., Miller, P. (1998). The use of the short care interview with the HIV/AIDS population [abstract]. Book of Abstracts of The 12th International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists.
- Falk-Kessler, J. (1996). Student outcomes: A study of students who have participated in special services (Doctoral Dissertation, Columbia University, 1996). UMI Dissertation Services, 9620149.
- Falk-Kessler, J., Barnowski, C., & Salvant, S. (1994). Mandatory HIV testing and occupational therapists. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 48(1), 27-37.
- Falk-Kessler, J. & Ruopp, P. (1993). Prestige and occupational therapy in mental health. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 12(3), 55-67.
- Falk-Kessler, J., Momich, C., & Perel, S. (1991). Therapeutic factors in occupational therapy groups. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 45(1), 59-66.
- Falk-Kessler, J. & Quittman, M. (1990). Functional ability and performance on neuropsychological indices in chronic psychiatric outpatients. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 10(2), 1-17.
- Falk-Kessler, J., Quittman, M., & Moore, R. (1988). Response to commentary on The SCSIT: A potential tool for assessing neurological impairment in adult psychiatric outpatients. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, 8(3), 151-154.
- Falk-Kessler, J., Quittman, M., & Moore, R. (1988). The SCSIT: A potential tool for assessing neurological impairment in adult psychiatric outpatients. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, 8(3), 131-146.
- Falk-Kessler, J. (1986). Sample progress report. In P. Miller & B. Neuhaus (Eds.), Life skills of the community elderly: an occupational therapy model for integrating education and service. Supported by a grant from Administration on Aging.
- Falk-Kessler, J. & Froschauer, K. (1978). The soap opera: A dynamic group approach for psychiatric patients. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 32(5), 317-319.
- Falk, J. (Ed.). (1973) Handbook for Handicapped Students (1st ed.). PA: Franklin Building, University of Pennsylvania.
Quoted/Featured in Public Media
- People Magazine, 1976
- San Fransican Chronicle, 1976
- Soap Opera Digest, 1977
- Parade Magazine, 1977
- Brown, Margaret, 1989 Careers in Occupational Therapy. New York: Rosen Publishing Group, Inc.; pgs 21, 79.
- Stahl, C. (1994) Ordinary Therapy Advance for Occupational Therapy, Nov 28, 1994
- Licht, D. (1995) Demography, good medical practice increase demand for therapists. Employment Review, Oct, 1995, p. 53, 55
- Dougherty, M. (2002). Elder nutrition: A “cutting edge” technology for seniors” as described in http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/in-vivo/Vol1_Iss10_may29_02/index.html
- Murphy, L. (2000). Getting Comfortable in a Small Workspace, Foxnews.com, Oct. 6, 2000
- Johansson, Cynthia (2000) OT Prescription for School Violence. http://www.aota.org/Practitioners/PracticeAreas/Emerging/CY/PsychSoc/36241.asp
- Birkner, G. (2006) The Orthodox OT Boom The Jewish Week, Jan 20, 2006
- Fischman, J. (2008) U.S. News Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools
- Distelhorst, S (2009) Serving the Underserved: OTs Assist Refugees and the Homeless With Daily Living Skills Today in OT, April 13, 2009
- Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding (2009) The Medical Manual for Religio-Cultural Competence. New York