Lenin C. Grajo, Ph.D., Ed.M., OTR
Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine (Occupational Therapy)
Director, Post-Professional Doctor of Occupational Therapy Program
- Ph.D., Occupational Therapy, Texas Woman’s University
- Ed.M., Human Development and Psychology (Literacy and Early Childhood Education focus), Harvard Graduate School of Education
- B.S., Occupational Therapy, University of the Philippines
- Occupation and Participation Approach to Reading Intervention (OPARI)
- Cognitive Orientation to daily Occupational Performance (CO-OP) approach Certified Therapist
- Pediatric practice specializing in children with learning disabilities and other neurodevelopmental challenges
- Introduction to Grant-Writing
- Theories of Measurement and Instrument Development
- Advanced Applications of Theories in Practice
- OT with Children (responsible for specific modules)
- Testing the effectiveness of the Occupation and Participation Approach to Reading Intervention (OPARI) in different pediatric practice settings
- Developing Communities of Practice to build the capacity of pediatric occupational therapists and OT educators
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (effectiveness of innovative pedagogical approaches in OT; use of educational technologies; developing mentorship programs for new educators)
- Developing and testing occupation based assessments in pediatric practice using Rasch analysis
- Using the Occupational Adaptation model in OT practice
- Developing Client-Centered and Function-Based Outcome Measures through a Hybrid Doctoral Course on Measurement and Instrumentation. Provost Award on Hybrid Learning Course Redesign and Delivery. Columbia University. May 2017 – May 2018.
- Developing and testing the effectiveness of a mobile device gaming app for children with dyslexia. Yeti Learning Gmbh. Berlin, Germany. July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017.
- On-going research and professional development contracts with public and private schools in the St. Louis, MO metro-area
Professional Awards, Recognitions, Activities
- Service Commendation Award. American Occupational Therapy Association, April 2016
- 2015 Outstanding Educator Award. Missouri Occupational Therapy Association, November 2015
- Mary L. Stephen Faculty Fellow Award for Scholarly Teaching. Saint Louis University Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning, February 2015
- Faculty Excellence Award. Saint Louis University Student Government Association, April 2013
- Chancellor’s Diamond Jubilee Faculty Award for Exemplary Teaching and Research Performance in Pediatric Occupational Therapy. University of the Philippines Manila, June 2006
- Outstanding Occupational Therapy Faculty. College of Allied Medical Professions, University of the Philippines Manila, November 2005
Positions in National Associations
- Chairperson, Education Special Interest Section (EDSIS); Elected, American Occupational Therapy Association (July 2016-2019)
- Member/EDSIS Liaison, Commission on Education; Appointed, American Occupational Therapy Association (July 2016-2019)
Editorial Review Board Membership for the following publications:
- The American Journal of Occupational Therapy
- The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy
- The Journal of Occupational Therapy Education
- The Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, and Early Intervention
- AOTA NBCOT Exam Prep Project
- The Journal of Child and Family Studies
- The Journal of Allied Health
Other Reviewer and Expert Panel Positions
- Abstract Reviewer: American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference (2015-present)
- Invited Panel Reviewer, SSO: USA Student Research Grant Competition (2015)
- Abstract Reviewer: American Occupational Therapy Association Education Summit (2015)
- Abstract Reviewer: World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) 16th World Congress and 48th Japanese Occupational Therapy Congress. Yokohama, Japan (2014)
- Expert Panel Grant Reviewer: National Institute for Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR), Disability and Rehabilitation Research Projects (DRPP) and Field Initiated Projects (FIP). US Department of Education Interagency Committee on Disability Research (2012-present)
Peer-Reviewed Research Articles
- Cabatan, M. C. C., & Grajo, L. C. (2017). Centennial Topics—Internationalization in an occupational therapy curriculum: A Philippine–American pilot collaboration. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71, 1–9. https://doi.org/ 10.5014/ajot.2017.024653. Available online here: https://ajot.aota.org/article.aspx?articleid=2657258
- Grajo, L. & Cruz, D.M.C. (2017). Editorial: A hundred-year journey and a return to our roots – occupation, adaptation through occupation, and client-centeredness. Cadernos Brasileiros de Terapia Occupacional/Brazilian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 25(3), 445-446. https://doi.org/10.4322/2526-8910.ctoED2503. Available online here: http://www.cadernosdeterapiaocupacional.ufscar.br/index.php/cadernos/article/view/2039/871
- Aldrich, R. M., & Grajo, L. C. (2017). International educational interactions and students’ critical consciousness: A pilot study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2017.026724. Available online here: https://ajot.aota.org/article.aspx?articleid=2646449
- Grajo, L., & Candler, C. (2017). The occupation and participation approach to reading intervention (OPARI): A community of practice study. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, and Early Intervention, 10(1), 1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19411243.2016.1257967. Available online here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19411243.2016.1257967
- Grajo, L., & Candler, C. (2016). An occupation and participation approach to reading intervention (OPARI) part II: Pilot clinical application. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools and Early Intervention, 9(1), 86-98. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19411243.2016.1141083. Available online here: http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/BSbUU2PyPxIgb4SnTNsi/full
- Grajo, L., & Candler, C. (2016). An occupation and participation approach to reading intervention (OPARI) part I: Defining reading as an occupation. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools and Early Intervention, 9(1), 74-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19411243.2016.1141082. Available online here: http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6zkZ65BIxEwqUM7iMBEG/full
- Grajo, L.C., Candler, C., Bowyer, P., Schultz, S., Thomson, J., & Fong, K. (2016). Determining the internal validity of the Inventory of Reading Occupations: An assessment tool of children’s reading participation. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 70, 7003220010. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2016.017582. Available online here: http://ajot.aota.org/article.aspx?articleid=2512715
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Grajo, L. (2017). Occupational adaptation. In J. Hinojosa, P. Kramer, & C. Royeen (Eds.). Perspectives in occupation (2nd ed; pp.287-311). Philadelphia: FA Davis.
- Royeen, C., Grajo, L., & Luebben, A. (2014). Nonstandardized testing. In J. Hinojosa & P. Kramer (Eds.). Evaluation in occupational therapy: Obtaining and interpreting data (4th ed.). Bethesda, MD: AOTA Press.
- Grajo, L., Simon, P. Stoner, M., Hogan, M., Miller, C., Peery, A.,… Miller, J. (September, 2017). Developing skills in community-based programming. OT Practice, 22(17),19-2
- Grajo, L., Candler, C., Lange, J., Cooseman, L., Sullivan, M., Breitenbucher, L., & Krumm, L. (October, 2016). Well read: Community of practice helps occupational therapists support children with reading difficulties. OT Practice, 8-14.
- Grajo, L., & Aldrich, R. (January 2016). Cross-cultural learning experiences: Using international collaborations as an educational tool. OT Practice, 21(1), 13-16.
- Grajo, L. (December 2015). Collaborations in teaching and learning: A transformative experience. The Notebook. Saint Louis University Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning. Retrieved from http://www.slu.edu/blogs/cttl/2015/12/02/collaborations-in-teaching-and-learning-a-transformative-experience/
- Grajo, L., & Candler, C. (July 2014). Children with reading difficulties: How occupational therapy can help. OT Practice, 19(13), 16-17.
Public Media Features
- Louis Magazine Interview: Benefits of teaching writing: http://www.stlmag.com/family/the-many-benefits-of-teaching-children-how-to-write-handwrit/ March 2015.
- University News: Let us Introduce you: OT professor loves educating, literature. http://www.unewsonline.com/2013/11/25/let-us-introduce-you-lenin-grajo/ November 2013.
- Ladue News Health/Lifestyle Section Lab Notes – Mobile Apps for Children with Dyslexia http://www.laduenews.com/living/health-wellness/lab-notes/article_37546654-398f-5a1b-aaee-f4396800fa78.html. December 2012
- ScienceDaily News Feature – Mobile Apps for Children with Dyslexia http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121112095945.htm. November 2012